Rediscovering Roger Zelazny

 

This post is not a review but just an appreciation of a writer that I fear is getting lost in the mists of time -Roger Zelazny. If you've not read any Zelazny, it's hard to find another writer to compare him to, because he had a unique style and voice. He wrote both science fiction and fantasy, but his work often blurred the two. He was one of the SF/F writers that emerged from the 60s who focused not on the hard SF of Asimov and his ilk, but more on the human psyche. His books featured protagonists that were often conflicted, perhaps leaning more towards anti-hero status, but always intriguing. He had an interest in legends and mythology which plays throughout his works. Zelazny had a way with language and words -although he often favored a sort of stripped down style of dialog, he could also weave dreamlike imagery. As a reader, I always felt transported by his writing, effortlessly, to new places, new ideas, new states of being.

If you are wondering where to start, I would recommend the following:


Lord of Light: My favorite of Zelazny's works, it takes an initial SF premise (a starship crew stranded on a planet) and flips it on its head, mixing it with Hindu myth and reincarnation, and a theme of societal oppression. The protagonist, Sam, rebels against his fellow 'gods' and wants to bring enlightenment to the masses. It's a beautifully written book and one I have read many times, always evoking strong emotions. 

The Chronicles of Amber: Perhaps Zelazny's best known work, the original five book series is definitely worth your time (I found the later series to be somewhat less interesting). People who enjoyed Game of Thrones will appreciate this story of a royal family and their struggles to control a throne that gives them power to traverse multiple dimensions. The backstabbing, lying, and intrigue are hot and heavy, as well as the usual fantasy elements, but there is also crossover with our Earth. 

A Night in the Lonesome October: This is just a fun read. Basically it's a competition between heroes and villains from classic film and fiction to either open or close the doorway for the Great Old Ones from Lovecraftian fiction to enter our world on Halloween. There are appearances by Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and a ton of others you'll recognize. Enjoy it for what it is, a pure romp!

Zelazny wrote many more books and short stories; I would urge any SF/F reader to seek them out. You won't be disappointed.


Comments

  1. Hey Karen, great post as usual. I've missed a few I see - haven't been around because the last month or so have been additional stressful (some personal/family stuff that left me out of sorts).
    Zelazny is a writer I mean to read more of. For whatever reason, I never picked up any of his books when I was younger and eating up tons of SF and fantasy. So far, I've only read some of his short stories, including those included in the Illustrated Roger Zelazny - I have the full size color edition in which all of the stories are illustrated by Gray Morrow. That really whetted my appetite for more of his stuff and I have a few of his novels - that I have yet to read (I've got a huge 'to-read' pile...)
    Anyway, now I have to go and read some of your earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edo, I really hope you do try some more Zelazny. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm sorry to hear you've had some personal issues lately. I hope things are on the way up. It's just been a terrible year for everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Super-Blog Team-Up: Planet of the Apes: Tales from the Forbidden Zone

Chillers, Thrillers, and Killers: Films for A Creepy October

The Mandalorian: The Moral Dilemma