Logan's Run shatters its life clock



I was surprised to read that today is the 44th anniversary of the premiere of Logan's Run, a film that I love probably far more than it deserves. Call it a guilty pleasure if you like, but Logan's Run burned its way into my young psyche that summer of 1976, and I have nothing but warm feelings for it now. If I am flipping channels and it is on, I'll stop and watch, usually until it ends. It's probably less about the film than the emotions it evokes. But honestly, there are some cool things in the movie. The concept is intriguing. We can look back now, post-Star Wars and years of CGI epics and it may seem quaint with its obviously miniature cities, or 70s mall standing in for the Utopian domed city, but like most good science fiction, it originated out of concerns for our modern society. The threat of overpopulation, student and civil unrest, and of course, the ever-present Cold War, all motivated the the story of a seemingly perfect world of youth and freedom, with a single catch: everyone dies at 30.


Seeing this when I was 10, it didn't seem like such a bad life! Of course that perspective shifted as time went by. But I still enjoy the story, the 70s look, the young and beautiful Michael York and Jenny Agutter, the mad robot Box ("Fish! Plankton! Protein from the sea!"), Carousel, all of it. It's become a little piece of the 70s, of memories of summer and playing sandman and runner at the mall (and getting kicked out for that), and science fiction films that were still more about ideas than special effects. But that's a topic for another time. Happy birthday, Logan.

Comments

  1. Still one of my all time favorite films, from Carousel to Farah Fawcett to Box until the end where we find out “There is no Sanctuary“

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have retained its charm for many of us. I really hope no one ever remakes it!

      Delete
  2. I unironically love this movie as well; obviously much of it is due to a nostalgia factor (although I first watched it as a teen in the early '80s). However, I think in many ways it's brilliant on its own merits. It's a wonderful blend of thinking-man's SF with the '70s camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edo! I have no illusions that I'm deeply sentimental when it comes to this film. But there are certain things about it which still resonate for me - as someone who lived in that pre-Star Wars era (and I do appreciate Star Wars, don't get me wrong) I have a lot of love for SF that wasn't all about space battles. Even though there is a fair amount of action in this, as well as some mild T and A, it does have a basis in that kind of social SF that really became prominent in the 60s and 70s. Actually, the overpopulation problem never went away, we just started ignoring it. Like so many things. I guess we all have to wonder if we are now living in a dystopian sci fi film? I hope it's not Soylent Green!

      Delete
    2. Oh, man, Karen. On the topic of "SF that isn't all about space battles," well, that's my favorite type, at least in prose. It's why my favorite authors are Le Guin, Octavia Butler and Philip Dick, as well as the incredibly cerebral Stanislaw Lem. I'll just cut it off there, because I think I can drone on about this forever...

      Delete
  3. I am going to join the group that I too love the film. I remember when it was first aired on TV how strongly they would advertise "starring Farrah Fawcett!". The special effects were just not all that great, and that the entire system was utterly destroyed at the end seems a bit of an overkill. It has a lot of flaws, but its well cast, and has just the right spices. The TV series introduced a Council of Elders - the select few who can continue to age (but not really enjoy much of society).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jenny Agutter must have been my first crush because of this movie. Absolutely love it, even used to enjoy the tv series but it must be 40 years since i've seen it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Super-Blog Team-Up: Planet of the Apes: Tales from the Forbidden Zone

Chillers, Thrillers, and Killers: Films for A Creepy October

The Mandalorian: The Moral Dilemma